The curly bits

The curly bits on letters are called serifs. Apparently they make reading easier by providing minute signals to the brain that help identify letters more quickly.

The difference is not always that easy to see, but then you look at these

And you realise that the serifs really do help.

17 thoughts on “The curly bits

  1. I prefer sans serif – it’s strange, when I type into the box here it comes up in Ariel….that changes to (?) Times New Roman.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s